Monday, July 9, 2007

More on jobs

I wrote previously about some methods available to you to find a job to pay for college. Those weren’t the only methods. Not everyone wants to or is willing to work in the dining hall, even if it is only a few hours a week. I know that personally I wouldn’t want to touch the food if it were my job. Nothing against dining halls, many colleges have updated theirs and made them perfectly decent, but working with food eliminates my desire to eat it.

So what other avenues are there? Think about the things you already like to do, then try to find a job that will use some of your skills or passions. If you love music, maybe you can give lessons. Even if you can’t find enough students to make what you need to pay the bills, at least you can spend fewer hours in the job that you don’t like. I, personally, love grammar. I was a tutor for the grammar class at my school (still am, hint, hint), and loved it! I’ve been proofreading papers for friends for quite a while, and I love that, too! (I’ll probably advertise these services again soon.) I’m hoping that when I start at my new school (just transferred) in the fall, I will be able to tutor and proofread (and not have to wait tables or plop food).

What I’m trying to say is that if you get a job simply because it will help pay the bills, you probably won’t have a very enjoyable experience. Of course, it is good to get a job for many reasons – minimizing student loans and getting experience in the workplace – but spend a little extra time trying to find one that you will like.

No comments: