Friday, July 13, 2007

Transferring is no fun

I apologize now for the rant-like tone this post may have, but my situation as a transfer student really grinds my gears.

The reason I stressed picking the right college for you before was that transferring is no fun. Usually, a person transfers because he or she is miserable (which is no fun). Then, you’ll have to fill out applications again and wait for replies. When you are accepted and choose your next college, there are all the ordeals of transfer credits and different general education requirements.

Aside from all the headaches of reorganizing your entire plan of study – and the topic that has me the most upset – is the scholarship situation for transfer students. When I say ‘scholarship situation,’ I mean that it doesn’t exist.

I started my freshman year on a full ride (I told you that ACT scores were important). I never liked my school, and I hated it more every single day. I knew that I had to get out of there. I visited a few schools before starting any applications, determined not to have to transfer twice. I finally found a school that seemed like a good fit.

I went from a full ride to a pitiful $750 per year. It didn’t matter to this new school that I scored 33 on the ACT and graduated high school with a 4.0; it didn’t even matter that in college I had a 3.9! My being on the National Dean’s List (~ the top ½ percent in the nation) didn’t matter either! The only scholarship opportunity from this school for transfer students is $750 for having above a 3.7 GPA.

Why are there no opportunities for transfer students? Everyone that I have talked to at the school says it’s terrible that I am not receiving more in scholarship money, but there is nothing they can do about it. This really is no fun!

I’ll say it again: take your time and carefully choose your college.

No comments: